I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Proverbs 22:24

Proverbs 22:24,
"Make no friendship with an angry man;
and with a furious man thou shalt not go:"

Our Pastor always tells us that behavior is "learned and allowed."  Boy!  Isn't that true.  I grew up in a home where yelling was the normal communication mode when things got tough.  I learned and observed this type of behavior as a child.  It was never taught that this was wrong, but behavior that happens in a home usually becomes the stomping ground for the future generations to come until you put a stop to it.  I never really thought of myself as an angry person.  I would get "upset" and let it stew and then it would erupt later, just as my parents showed me.  It can be hard to control until you realize the pattern that proceeds your outburst.  I know that I am not the only one that struggles with this.  So why is it so hard for one to confess?  Don't we realize when we confess our faults one to anther it will heal us.  "Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16.

So now you know one of my faults.  I get tired and cranky just like anyone else and will snap just like anyone else.  I put too much on my plate at times and feel like I got to get'er done.  I allow my circumstances at times dictate how I feel.  I hate being interrupted while doing what I want.  While I don't feel that I get angry often, it doesn't matter how often I do.  It is still sin and I am accountable for my actions.  I must teach my children how to deal with it and learn at the same time what the Bible says about it.

Do you struggle with this sin?  

What does the Bible say about an angry person?

Proverbs 14:29 says
"[He that is] slow to wrath [is] of great understanding:
but [he that is] hasty of spirit exalteth folly."

The Bible says if you are slow to anger {wrath} you understand where anger can lead you.  You are wise.  But one who is quick to anger is impatient or short in spirit and will display his self as foolishness.

Matthew 5:22a,
"But I say unto you,
That whosoever is angry with his brother
without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:"

What happens to us when we get angry?

Will Suffer punishment.
Proverbs 19:19,
A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment:
for if thou deliver [him], yet thou must do it again.

Revealed as a fool.
Proverbs 12:26,
"A fool's wrath is presently known:
but a prudent [man] covereth shame."

Lacks Friends
Proverbs 22:24,
"Make no friendship with an angry man;
and with a furious man thou shalt not go:"

Affects the body badly
Proverbs 14:30,
"A sound heart [is] the life of the flesh:
but envy the rottenness of the bones."

Angry man in danger of the same judgment as the murderer.
Matthew 5:21-22,
"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time,
Thou shalt not kill;
and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother
without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
and whosoever shall say to his brother,
Raca, shall be in danger of the council:
but whosoever shall say,
Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

What should the angry person do?

Ephesians 4:26,
"Be ye angry, and sin not:
let not the sun go down upon your wrath:"

Immerse yourself in God's word and memorize it.
Matthew 11:29,
"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;
for I am meek and lowly in heart:
and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

James 1:19,
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren,
let every man be swift to hear,
slow to speak, slow to wrath:"

To what is the sin of anger likened?
Proverbs 30:33
Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter,
and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood:
so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife."

Proverbs 17:14
"The beginning of strife [is as] when one letteth out water:
therefore leave off contention,
before it be meddled with."
Proverbs 25:28
"He that [hath] no rule over his own spirit
[is like] a city [that is] broken down,
[and] without walls."
{vulnerable to Satan's attacks}

Proverbs 27:3
"A stone [is] heavy, and the sand weighty;
but a fool's wrath [is] heavier than them both."

Proverbs 19:12
"The king's wrath [is] as the roaring of a lion;
but his favour [is] as dew upon the grass."
{Why does a lion roar?  Controlling through fear.  The roaring of the lion when he has prey causes fear in the victim and this fear makes escaping harder for the victim and thus aids the lion in capturing his food.Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_the_lion_roar#ixzz1PB0GyINN}

Proverbs 27:4
Wrath [is] cruel, and anger [is] outrageous;
but who [is] able to stand before envy?"

A torrent is something that can  not be controlled. 
Just like you see a tsunami rushing in, it devastates everything in it's path. 
It is consumed whole.

I have to tell you I am grateful for the book, Instruction in Righteousness, by Pam Forster.  It has been helpful in studying and confessing our sins.  One thing I have realized is the depth of God's word is vast.  It teaches clearly what one must do to correct or discipline depending on what sin it is, even when one sin has various circumstances, you clearly see how to restore relationships based upon God's word.  I was amazed at some of the things I didn't realize I was doing that I shouldn't be doing.  Once the verses were all compiled together according to sin, it made it easier for me to learn from and teach my own children.

No comments: