I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

For Instruction In Rightousness


I recently got my hands on the book, For Instruction In Righteousness, by Pam Forster.  We know we have needed to make some changes in our home but didn't know where to even begin.  Yes, I know we should be looking in the Bible.  I understand that, but when you grow up not having parents to teach you the application of the Bible, you struggle as an adult to know what to do.  I do my best learning by jumping in and doing it, but I have to have someone standing next to me to coach me. 

So after getting my husbands permission to get the book, I couldn't wait to check it out.  It actually arrived a lot sooner by media mail then I expected.  Usually media mail is super slow but I got it in one week!  When it got here, it was like a fresh breath cool air.  I was relieved and eagerly anticipated digging into the book.  After looking through the book quickly, my husband and I decided to go through the book with our sons in the evening for our devotional. 

At first glance, the is a lot of information.  It can almost be overwhelming figuring out where to begin.  So as a family we are going to sit down and cover the areas that concern us the most.  As we cover them we will start implementing the better way to discipline our children, but in the mean time we will all learn together what the Bible says to do.  I too struggle with a lot of these areas so I look forward to learning it with my kids.

What I like about the book is that it talks about the sin itself and gives scripture on it.  It also gives ideas of discipline for each area of sin, what the Bible says the sin is likened to, stories that illustrate the consequences of that particular sin, the blessings that are the opposite trait of the sin with scripture so that you can understand what we should be doing, stories of that blessing and verses to memorize.

I really look forward to this study as a family.  This is another area we need to improve upon is taking time as a family to participate in Bible Time.  We do read the Bible to our kids each night, but now with our oldest going into school, we need to add another level of maturity during that Bible time for him.

No comments: