I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Love Sufferth Long. . .

I Corinthians 13:4, "Charity suffereth long, [and] is kind;"

My Kindergarten Sunday School group learned this week about suffering long and being kind within our family group this week.  I am certain I probably learned more about suffering long and being kind then they did, but it was a good lesson to go over again.
 
II Kings 11 tells of the story of Baby Joash who was saved by his Aunt Jehosheba from the wrath of Queen Athaliah.  While a lot of stories seem simple, I really had one thought hit me on this.  Jehosheba hid baby Joash for 6 years in the temple where she lived with her priest/husband.  Can you imagine hiding and keeping a young boy quiet for 6 years without anyone knowing about it?  But what really got me was that she stopped everything she was doing to assist her nephew to save him.  She took on the role of mother to him and taught him all he should know.  She didn't get caught up in, "if I save his life, then I might die too" mentality.  No she didn't care about her own life.  She risked it to save one heir of the King, while everyone else was slaughtered.  That is Love.  That is suffering long.  She didn't lose heart during the 6 years she was hiding her nephew.  She persevered through hardship for a very long time because she knew it was worth it.  She knew she could be in big trouble if the Queen found out she saved one heir to the through.  She did all that because she loved God.
 
So do I have enough in me to persevere through hardship and struggles to save one?  Are my children the most important thing to me that I will endure anything to make sure that they survive this world?  Do I care enough for my own family to help them when they need it the most even though it could cost me worldly gain?  Am I teaching my own children by my own actions to be kind and stop and help one another even if it means sacrificing our temporary satisfaction/gain?  Am I suffering long when I am interrupted for the millioneth time or they want my attention?

No comments: