I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chicken and Biscuit Pie

Growing Up we had a lot of Chicken and Biscuit Casseroles....

I can't say that I was a big fan of it either.  Maybe we just had it too much, just like having a Sunday Roast with carrots and potatoes.  Yes, every Sunday... almost.  But isn't that memories are for?  Not to repeat them?

No, I think not.  I am realizing more and more to search the Internet for what I like to call a "re-do".  You can find so many tantalizing recipes of things you make all ready.  They just vamped it up a little.  So I want to introduce my "re-do" of Chicken and Biscuit.  It is Chicken and Biscuit Pie.  I give this recipe a A++++++.  Simply delicious!

Check out what I did: 
  • Cooked a whole chicken in crock pot with onions and baby carrots.
  • Added some chicken broth to the crock pot.
  • Used the onions and carrots that were all ready cooked all day to the recipe.
  • Used the broth from the crock pot to the recipe.
  • Used corn instead of the peas.
  • Added garlic powder and Rosemary {Simply yummy!}
  • Baked the dish on 375 degrees for 40 minutes and it turned out perfect.   Reviews on the dish stated that cooking it too high for a short time did not cook the biscuit on the bottom well.

Chicken Biscuit Pie Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 cup frozen diced carrots
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken meat
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons shortening
  • 3/4 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
  2. In a large saucepan, saute chopped onion in the butter. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add frozen peas and carrots and cooked chicken. Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until dough is moistened, then drop by spoonfuls onto chicken mixture.
  4. Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown, and cooked on the bottom. This tends to bubble over so I place a piece of aluminum foil under the pan to catch the drips.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Nutritional Information
Chicken Biscuit Pie
Servings Per Recipe: 5
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 615
  • Total Fat: 29.7g
  • Cholesterol: 86mg
  • Sodium: 1264mg
  • Total Carbs: 57g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.1g
  • Protein: 29.3g

No comments: