I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Religion in Public Schools



I am sharing this with any reader out there in hopes of encouraging you today.

This week, my son went to his public school and handed out tracts to his friends and a flyer to a church event this week.  I was so proud of him and his excitement was enthusiastic.  Then on the a school happenings facebook page a angry parent posted something about it.  I watched and waited to see what would happen.  Wondered if I would get a call from the school telling me he couldn't pass out his precious tracts.  So far there has been no call.

But it did get me to looking at what was appropriate for children to do and say.  After a little research, I found this article which I find dependable.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/1999/08/02/associations-right-in-schools

what I found was this and I quote it direct from the web-site with the website notated above:
" 3. May a student give out Gospel tracts or religious literature to his classmates?
Yes! Students may distribute religious tracts or literature to their schoolmates in the same manner as they would be permitted to distribute non-religious material. Schools may impose reasonable restrictions on the place and manner for distribution of all printed material, but religious literature may not be singled out for special restrictions or regulations. If the Boy Scouts or community sports team may distribute material promoting out-of-school programs, distribution of similar religious material must also be permitted. First Amendment rights include the right to distribute Gospel tracts or other religious literature during non-instructional times. The standard that must be applied is: Does the activity materially or substantially disrupt school discipline?
The school must prove that such disruption actually occurs. "[U]ndifferentiated fear or apprehension of disturbance is not enough to overcome the right to freedom of expression." Tinker at 508. When a student peacefully distributes tracts or other religious literature on school grounds during non-instructional time there is nothing that "might reasonably [lead] school authorities to forecast substantial disruption of or material interference with school activities." Tinker at 514"

So there you have it.  The public school can not make you stop doing it.  They can try and tell you to, but as long as your child is doing this during non-instructional time AND it is not causing a disruption that will harm someone else, they can not tell you what to do.

I find it amazing that people find God's word offensive.

Last night I thought about one thing. Why do people get angry when they are told about Jesus or the Bible is mentioned to them? We all teach our children the fundamental moral values of what is right and wrong: don’t steal, don’t cheat, don’t lie etc. But do some really realize those values come from the Bible itself? So why do people get upset about the Bible when the Bible is God’s guide boo...k to have a successful life and more?

The answer? People want to pick and choose what values they have. It's only natural. They don’t want to be accountable to someone else for the way they live. The only offensive thing the Bible does is show us our sin and people don’t like that revealed. Including myself at times.
 If you would like to read the tract in question, here it is.  You will have to click on each picture to bring it up and zoom on it to read it, but there is nothing in it that is offensive unless you don't love my Jesus.




No comments: