I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 2 Continued

Day 2--Charleston

After a visit to Fort Sumter, we decided to head on over to Boone Hall Plantation.  It is a really pretty place and it's long drive back to the house was beautiful.  Imagine driving your carriage or wagon...  Boone Hall Plantation had been used for several movies.  I can't remember them all, but I will point out the parts that stand out to me.


Boone Hall plantation has had several different owners.
The original plantation was not as we see it today.
Plantation homes were built with wood and not ornate.
The ornate homes were built by the owners back in Charleston.

Besides the obvious crops that were grown here, like cotton,
Boone Hall was the top producer of pecan trees that supplied a
huge quantity of the countries pecans.  When one of the hurricanes
hit Charleston, that ended that.
The first building built on the plantation was this smoke house.

Live Oak trees with Spanish Moss. 
The oak trees are deciduous and stay green all year around.

Behind this live oak is a river that is connected to the ocean.
Owners would ship their goods out on barges to Charleston
when the tide came up.  The plantation didn't seem far from Charleston,
but back then it took a bit to get from Charleston to the plantation.
This was the easier way to get their goods out.



Nicknamed "Slave Street",
These homes were the place where the household slaves stayed. 
Field slaves lived in wood shacks in the fields.
*One thing that stood out to me was this:
Upon touring the 1st floor of the home,
we learned about the slave trade.
A shopping list was saved by one of the
lady's of the home and first on the list was
"one slave girl = $980"
$980!  I couldn't believe how much
they spent for the use of a slave.
I also viewed a record of slaves that came to
Charleston and was amazed by the
amount of slave that came. 
You do the math. 
This was over 100 years ago....
Also note that more slaves were sent to the
Caribbean and other areas besides the U.S.
The number is staggering.

Boone Hall Plantations cotton gin under restoration.
When the cotton gin was invented, they built
their own cotton gin.

Walking around the plantation was neat. 
I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to tour much of the home.
We were only able to view the first floor because the upper floor was
occupied by the current owner who comes there once in awhile.
Over all it was a beautiful afternoon, and
I really enjoyed learning more about our countries history.

We followed up the day with eating out down-town again at Poogan's Porch.

gallery-1
Pic from Poogan's Porch.

My meal was so good!  It was worth it to have a nice date night meal with my husband.

No comments: