I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Saul Controlling Spirit--Check-List Continued

Continuation of The Controlling Spirit in the Pray Portions by Sylvia Gunter.
"16.    He cannot affirm others and will dishonor them publicly.
Saul dishonored his own son publicly and even tried to spear him (20:33).  Sauls throw verbal spears.  They mock others publicly.  Saul’s audacity in daring to touch the Lord’s anointed David is met by David’s unwillingness to take Saul’s life even when he easily could have, and when David’s men wanted to and would have, if David had not prevented them.  Saul was twice delivered into David’s hands, and David did not touch him (24:17, 26:17).  Saul even admits that he has dealt wickedly with David, but he is driven and under compulsion to get David out of the way.  He is jealous and by this time insane.
17.    He manipulates by gifts, favors, bribery, and guilt.
Saul is trying to keep the kingdom after God has taken His hand off him, so he resorted to flesh, soul power, manipulation, and the schemes of man (22:7-8).
18.    He is tremendously deceived and cannot perceive things correctly.
This is an important point.  The perceptions of a Saul are off.  It is like their lens needs focusing.  They are in spiritual darkness and don’t know it.  Saul accused Jonathan of stirring up David to ambush him (22:8, 13).  Who wants to ambush whom?  Yet Saul accused David of conspiracy, lying in wait, and rebellion.  This is not a logical or intellectual problem.  Saul could not be reasoned out of this.  He was deluded and got progressively worse (23:14).  Finally he could not hear God’s voice, so he resorted to a medium (28:6 and following).  Many Sauls get involved in the occult, go to psychics, or read horoscopes, because they cannot hear God for themselves.  If they are religious, they run from prophet to prophet asking them, “Do you have a word from God for me?”    The ministry of prophets is honorable, but is this not like charismatic fortune telling?  Why can’t you get a word from God for yourself?
19.    He hears only what he wants to hear.
Saul listened to people who lied, rather than those who told him the truth.  David confronted him on this (24:9), and Samuel, Jonathan, and the priest Ahimilech (all godly men) spoke the truth to him, but Saul would not listen, because eh did not want to hear it.  Saul still believed what he wanted to believe.  There is at least one henchman, in this case Abner, feeding the conspiracy (25:5), so they can keep on doing what they have their mind made up to do.

Notice that David spared his life (24:9), and Saul appeared remorseful (24:17).  But he proved that he was unrepentant when he continued to pursue David.  David again spared his life (26:9), and again Saul appeared remorseful and blessed David (26:21).  But he had no true change of heart.
20.   He is perfectionistic, demanding, and judgmental. 
He cannot receive love and therefore cannot give it.  His worth and identity are tied up in roles and performance.  He is very image conscious.  How he is perceived is more important than who he is.  He sets impossible standards.  He cannot delegate, because it won’t be done “right” (that is, his way).  He is very hard on himself, and this will incline him to depression.
There is the picture.  Now what?  Why would God put David in the household of a Saul for fourteen years?  To take the Saul out of David.  Why would he put you under a controller?  For the same reason.
Distance or avoidance are not permanent solutions to dealing with Saul.  How long should you stay around a controlling spirit?  Until God delivers you from it.  Until God takes the Saul out of you.  Until you don’t want to be that kind of person.  Until you have a passionate desire to totally surrender to God in relationships and give up all control.  Until you are humbled and free from judging or reacting to such a person.  Until you want to be a David-hearted leader.  Make no mistake—God is looking for the Saul in you.  The greatest temptation when you are being “as-Saul-ted” is to pull the spear out of the wall and throw it back.  If you do, you will be every bit as much a Saul as your Saul.
*He honored God’s anointing, even when Saul was not acting worthily.
*He spared Saul’s life because of mercy and meekness, while Saul tried to kill him.
*He let God vindicate him and deal with Saul."
My thoughts:  The one thing that jumped out to me in this last section of the check-list is how one sets impossible standards.  I find that I at times expect way to much out of my young children and I forget their age and that they too are learning.  I really have to work on that.  I expect them to know something they have never been exposed to or learned.  I also have to realize that they don't have to be a perfectionist like I was taught.  Do it right the first time mentality...  I think that is great, but when dealing with children you have to know they may not do it right the first time.

I remember working with my dad one night as he was trying to get a well installed by our garden.  He had found water there and was trying to put pipes together to run it.  He asked me to run get an elbow.  I had no clue what an elbow was.  I was probably only 8, 9, or 10.  All I knew was I needed to run and get it.  So run I did to his truck.  I threw open the door and searched frantically for anything that looked like an elbow.  Something that as bent.  I found it, breathed a sigh of relief and ran back to my dad hoping I did the right thing but not for sure.  Luckily it was the right thing.

I think about that story often and try to remember it as a lesson when teaching my own kids something.  I can't expect them just to know it and me not put any time or effort into it with them.  I have to plan on me doing nothing so I don't get distracted from teaching them and then getting annoyed if they dont' get it right.  I find if I take the time, they enjoy it much more. 

Taking time with them to teach them shows them my love.  As my son tells me, "I want to work all day and not play!"  I just smile and think, "yeah right."  I'm glad he enjoyed washing windows with me, even if it was punishment for whining and complaining about something else.....

No comments: