I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Abstaining

I Peter 2:11
"Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims,
abstain from fleshly lusts,
which war against the soul;"


I read this verse tonight and it stuck out to me like a big sore thumb.  God beseeching me to do the right thing even though my attitude might stink a wee bit in certain departments.  Sometimes I feel like I am in a battle.  I know what I am supposed to do, but the voice in my head tells me not to.

This verse talks about warring against the soul.  A war tears apart people, it devastates, it kills, it mames and so much more.  A war has causualities. Period.  You can not go to war and not have losses.  Is that why God beseeches me, he calls me, he beckons me to his side, he admonishes me to abstain from things that will only hurt us in the long run?  So that it protects you and keeps you from being hurt or hurting someone else?

While I don't feel I have big things that I fall for, I battle myself from within.  One of my personal battles I would like to "abstain" from is to stop letting myself think I know what others are thinking, which can destroy relationships with those that you care for.  

I want to trust God to show me his plan during this time and let him take charge so that I don't ruin something that is He could be cultivating in me.  In the meantime, God can you give me a glimpse of what I am needing right now?  You know what it is. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Amy . . . it was a blessing to me to read!