I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Healthy Living

If you have read any previous post, you will know I have started a journey of Healthier Living in my home....  and yes it is a journey.  I didn't clean out my pantry of all the bad stuff, but I am try new things and substituting BETTER things when I run out of the things in my pantry.  While I want to be healthier, I don't think that all that I have in my pantry should be wasted either.  Plus, I am not a big pre-packaged person anyway so my pantry isn't too bad.  Sure there are cake mixes for the "surprise, I have to take something to work tomorrow honey." type of situations...

Today, I want to share with you some ingredient conversions that you can do in your current baking.  I love making things from scratch, but my one down fall is using an ingredient when you don't know how it will turn out!  That scares me, but I have taken baby steps in trying these healthier solutions out and yes they are working!  Yes they tast good!  Very important!!

Butter
Yum...  
Butter is high in calories. 
Why not try these substitutions?

1.  Unsweetened applesauce:
  replace about half the amount of the called for butter with applesauce.  So if you end up needing 1 cup butter use 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup butter.  This works best in cakes.

2.  Unsweetened Pumpkin Puree:
Use the same as applesauce.

3.  Prune Puree:
Using Prune puree works well in chocolate treats and with goodies that have spices.
Use equal amounts of ingredient called for with the same amount of prue puree.

4.  Mashed Bananas:
Using mashed bananas works best with recipes that call for using OIL.  I wouldn't try using them in baked goods that are light and fluffy though.  Quick breads, coffee cakes and pancakes would work well with bananas.
How do you use it?  1 Cup of Oil= 1/2 cup of mashed banana.

How about Substitutions for Eggs?

1.  Unsweetened Applesauce:
1 egg = 1/4 cup of applesauce

2.  Vinegar and Baking Soda
For 1 egg = 1 tsp baking soda and 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

3.  Ground Flaxseed  { i love this one}
For 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed and 3 Tbsp of water = 1 egg

4.  Mashed Bananas
1 egg = 1/2 cup mashed banana

5.  Silken tofu
I probably won't ever use this one, but who knows...
Great for baking goods.
1 egg = 1/4 cup of whipped or pureed silken tofu

Sugar Substitues:

1.  Artificial sweeteners {I prefer to stay away from these}

2.  Molasses
1 1/3 cup of molasses = 1 cup sugar.
Recommend only replacing 1/2 of the called for sugar with this as molasses is a very strong flavor. 

3.  Honey
1 cup sugar = 3/4 cup honey + 1 Tbsp

One thing to consider is this:  If you are afraid to try these, just try replacing half of the ingredient to test it out before cutting the high calories out completely.  A little here and a little there will add up.  You will be surprised how they taste and knowing it is better for you will do us all good!

Through all this I am learning to be more self disciplined in my life.  Remember our physical health will often affect our spiritual health and emotional health.

Here's to more Healthy Living!

No comments: