I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

I recently went to the doctor and had my blood work done again.  Once again my LDL levels were borderline high and I was told to start using fish oil twice a day and have it recheck in 3 months.  Fish Oil?  Yuck, I hate fish and seafood.  I do know there is a good flavored fish oil out there but it is expensive. 

So once again I am revisiting the oatmeal options.  I like oatmeal, but detest eating it as a cereal.  I know they have oatmeal cookies in the store, but I have tried them and they are as hard as can be and not very tasty.  So I decided yesterday to look on-line and see if I could come up with something that would be a little more desireable.  I found the perfect match!  It is ALL good for you.  Every ingredient!  I decided that since I had all the ingredients that it was worth a shot to find a new breakfast item for me.  When they came out of the oven, I was really eager to try one.  I didn't wait long before I took my first bite.  Do you want to know if they are good?  Why yes they are!  So I am very excited to share with you a very HEALTHY oatmeal breakfast cookie that is soft and moist.  If you don't like the craisins, leave them out.  I find they add a nice touch to them! 

I was also a little nervous about using flax seed, but I did it anyway and found that it is great in foods.

Enjoy!

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Ingredients
1/2 mashed banana (I used 1 large)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or non peanut)
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed (or an add’l 1/4c flour)
1/4 cup nonfat milk or vanilla protein powder (+2TB of water if dough is too thick)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat two cookie sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla.
In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, ground flax, milk powder, cinnamon, and baking soda.
Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture until combined. Stir in dried cranberries.
Using a ¼-cup measuring cup, drop mounds of dough 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. With a thin metal or small plastic spatula dipped in water, flatten and spread each mound of dough to a 2¾-inch round, about ½ inch thick.
Bake, one sheet at a time, for 14 to 16 minutes or until browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months; thaw before serving.

No comments: