I want to serve the Lord by what I do and say. By sharing my life with you, I hope that in some way I can point you to a better relationship with Christ.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chicken Italian



Today of all days I was feeling down in the dumps.  I knew in my heart I just needed to pray, but sometimes just stopping and praying and thinking about what to say is hard for me.  So I decided to just write God what I was feeling today. 

Have you ever stopped and written God a letter?  I figure it is just as good as saying a prayer, but with your eyes open.  I had several things on my mind today and I just couldn't seem to get it out anyother way.  So I wrote about 2 pages.  Maybe all in all it was not much, but it had a lot in it.  Then God did  something wonderful...  I felt comforted.  I felt more secure.  I felt much happier.  I realized that God does not care how we communicate with him, as long as we do.  Sometimes with writing I get it out better then I do in saying things.  I've never been good at that.  My thoughts go unspoken.

So as I sit here tonight realizing how things have fallen into place today, I feel more content then I did this morning.  Maybe it is because I didn't have to cook.  We ate leftovers which took the pressure off cleaning up tonight.  Then I realized how long it was since I posted a recipe on my blog.  I have tried a few good ones of late and one that I will not mention.  {who puts basil together with chili powder and brown sugar?!  Yuck! so I will skip that one!}

But as I think about comfort and how God does that in ways I don't understand, I think about one of my favorite dishes, Chicken Parmesan.  While this dish is not quite as rich as the real deal, it has it's wonderful features too.  Chicken Parmesan can be kind of heavy, but this dish, Chicken Italian, is light and wonderful for a summer dish.  The flavors are incredible and tasty and super easy to make by the way!  I did not change one thing!  In fact I really enjoyed how the chicken tasted prior to adding the sauce.  I never thought about adding crushed garlic to the oil and just frying it in the pan with a little salt and pepper.  It's very tasty!


Picture and Recipe is taken from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) package boneless skinless chicken breast halves
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 (19 ounce) can Progresso® Vegetable Classics hearty tomato soup
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

  1. Cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package.
  2. Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook garlic and chicken in oil 3 to 4 minutes on each side until chicken is light brown.
  3. Sprinkle basil and pepper flakes on chicken. Pour soup over chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.

No comments: